So , here are a few of the trends we saw for Spring-Summer 2011.
I have picked these not just because they were the most repeated across various designers , but also because I think they can be incorporated into your summer look without a major wardrobe “overhaul”.
A little piece there and a clever accessory here could add that “au courant” touch to your summer looks , this year.
1) Lace – No surprises here. Lace has been around for the past couple of seasons. So I am guessing we have a few pieces already. Great ! Just reinterpret those pieces in fresh ways.
2) Fringes – Again, not new, but in my opinion they are still popular – so just a hint of fringes is enough. They aren’t a huge “rage” anymore.
And, use them in sophisticated colors or surprising ways if you don’t want to look like a lampshade !!
3) Sheer – A very obvious trend this season ( if you will pardon the pun !) and not as “unwearable” as one would first imagine. Just team it with more solid items (Like over-sized boxy jackets, another trend) to keep the look manageable.
4) Boxy jackets – These were around too , last summer, as “boyfriend jackets” . Well, they are still pretty “in”. Team with flirty feminine pieces like lacy maxis or sheer skirts …but I don’t have to tell you that, you have already mastered the art of contrasting.
5) Metallics – Metallic looks are back , the look could be minimalist “futuristic”or just “rock & roll” ; and the materials could be leather, wovens or knits. Plenty of options here. Try and think beyond just gold and silver though!
If you aren’t very sure you can manage all the bling, just work with belts, shoes and bags.
6) Tone-on-Tone blocking – I just love this look. It’s like color blocking , another favorite look of mine, but more grown-up and sophisticated. It’s quite obvious , just take two tones in the same color family and block away !! Try to keep the accessories in black or in the deepest tone of the color you have chosen , though even frosty metallic accessories work well depending on the main color you have chosen.
7) Wide-legged Pants – The 70s and retro influence is still going strong and this is the most fun version of it. Not of you have short legs, though !! Actually that’s not true, there is no fashion impediment that cannot be removed by the use of vertiginous heels.
8 ) Slim-fit “pleggings” – I don’t know what else to call these items, they seem to be a cross between pants and leggings and are worn under just about anything you please. If they are diaphanous, all the better.
Indians, rejoice, just get you local tailor to sew you up some transparent “churidaars” and don’t let his horrified look put you off.
9) Ruffles - These have been around for the longest time ( on the fashion time-scale) and actually, they shouldn’t be considered a “trend” ; but anyway, they are very much in vogue for this summer as well. Especially the petal-like and the flat pleat-like ones.
Not so good for the slightly plump fashion lover ( comme moi).
10) Gorilla Arms – No, no, you don’t have to hit the gym and build huge biceps, I’m talking about large exaggerated sleeves. This is best done with something that is a little delicate – like feathers or tulle ruffles. But, even so , this isn’t a look one should attempt except in the most evolved fashion circles. You’ll probably get laughed off the planet otherwise !!
11) Large and busy tapestry-like prints and “gauche” appliqués – Well, see for yourself. I can’t really describe it , but I’m sure the fashion history experts (I don’t claim to be one) will tie it to some popular art movement or the other, I am also sure these two things should not be clubbed under one trend , but they aren’t large enough to be listed as separate trends.
All I have to say is – if you are looking for some unusual prints and stand-out pieces for your wardrobe, you could try this. Some of the small Jackets and skirts at Miu miu were nice.
Apart from these there were plenty of trends because, every item shown at the fashion shows has the potential to become a trend in itself. For example – cropped tops are going to be big and so is the color orange and everything citrusy. There is going to be a lot of neon and plenty of whites on display and mid-calf lengths are the favorite this season…
Basically, you have a lot to choose from so choose a few trends that you like (because they look good on YOU and go with YOUR lifestyle) and enjoy them , it’s all about being stylish and enjoying fashion, not going broke and dying of stress.